Last week we went to Crumbs Bakery and my husband selected a margarita cupcake. He was in the mood, he claimed, for the real thing, but knew it was socially unacceptable to imbibe before lunch. Cupcakes, however, were a different matter. I tried a bite of his cupcake — I opted for a S’More cupcake — and was surprised by how much I liked it. The cake had a sweet vanilla flavor with a distinct lime essence and the frosting with salt, sweet and citrusy all at once. I have to say, I was intrigued. Since I already have the basic Crumbs Vanilla Cupcake to work off of I decided to try my hand at a margarita version. I don’t know exactly what was in the one we ate, but this tasted pretty darn close. Don’t forget to check out more of these great copycat recipes!
Copycat Crumbs Margarita Cupcake
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk
Zest of 4 limes and 1/4 cup lime juice
1 pound cream cheese
1 pound unsalted butter
1 16oz. box confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon tequila
Green food coloring
1. Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add the eggs, mixing well after each addition, followed by the vanilla extract, lime zest and half of the lime juice.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a small bowl. Then, with the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk and ending with the flour.
4. Fill each cup 3/4 full with batter. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the center of the cupcakes spring back when touched. Cool completely before frosting.
5. To make the frosting cream together the butter and cream cheese until totally smooth. Then add the sugar, tequila, and remaining lime juice and beat until smooth. Add a few drops of food coloring and stir well. Frost the cupcakes once they have cooled.