A recipe from top mommy food blogger Erin Chase.
Balsamic Chicken with Carmelized Onions
By Erin Chase of
- 1 package chicken breasts
(about 1.3 lbs) ($2.33)
- 1/3 cup olive oil ($.40)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar ($.20) I used a balsamic white wine vinegar:which explains why my chicken isn’t dark in the photo. A dark balsamic vinegar will turn the chicken brown!
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium butternut squash ($1.03) STILL on sale for $.49/lb!
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (free)
- 1 medium onion ($.30)
- 1 tsp olive oil ($.03)
- 1 tsp sugar ($.01)
- 1/2 bag romaine lettuce ($.25) Bought on sale with store mailer coupon for $.50!
- 1 small apple ($.25)
- Salad dressing ($.25)
Place chicken breasts into glass baking dish. In small bowl, whisk olive oil and balsamic vinegar with salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken breasts. Cover with plastic wrap. Marinate at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator. I started these guys marinating right after breakfast:and mmm! The longer the marinating time, the better!
Remove plastic wrap and bake chicken at 350 for 45-55 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.
Bake butternut squash. When finished, scrape out flesh into bowl and stir in 2 Tbsp maple syrup for some extra sweetness!
Caramelize the onions. Add onion slices to skillet with 1 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp sugar. Cook over medium high heat for 20-25 minutes, or until turn golden brown. Stir often! I did not do this, but thought of it while eating. I should have/suggest that you add a dash of balsamic vinegar as the onions are nearing the end of their caramelization!
Chop apples and toss over lettuce with dressing.
Serve Balsamic Chicken with Caramelized Onions, Maple Sweetened Squash and Salad.